Yangon is the commercial capital and also the main gate to the country for the international and principle seaport.
It has earned the name of " the garden city of the east".
it was founded in 1755 by king alaungpaya on the site of a town called dagon when he conquered lower myanmar.
he re-named the city yangon, meaning ‘end of strife’ but and the name was changed again to rangoon by the british when they annexed myanmar in 1885.
in 1989 the government changed the city’s name back to yangon and in 2005.
Bago is renowned for a 55-metre-long reclining Buddha image, the beautiful golden Shwemawdaw Pagoda and many more religious monuments, such as the old ordination hall built by King Dhammazedi.
It has lively market and just 10 minutes out of town one can see authentic scenes of rural life, such as yoked water buffaloes ploughing paddy fields.
Bago can be reached easily by road; the 80-kilometre journey from Yangon takes about two hours.
Situated on the road to Kyaikhtiyo Pagoda (Golden Rock) and Mawlamyine, Bago remains a quiet and easy-going town with a lot more bicycles and motorbikes than cars.
A small town that is well known for its pottery industry and cotton weaving, as well as its old Mon-style pagoda.
The town is situated on – and gives its name to – the Twante Canal, which was constructed during the colonial period to improve access from Yangon to the Ayeyarwady delta.
A ride on the canal offers contrasting images: the buzzing chaos in Yangon is replaced by the provincial calmness of the countryside only a few minutes outside the former capital.
Thanlyin is situated at the confluence of the Yangon and Bago Rivers.
To the south of Thanlyin is a ridge named Utaringa Kon, better known locally as Shin Mwe Nun Kon, on which Kyaik Khauk Pagoda stands.
The colonial town of Syriam was built by the British for its port and petroleum refinery plant.
Today a sleepy town, it is a 30-minute drive from downtown Yangon across a 2-kilometre bridge.
Mandalay is the principal economic and religious city of upper Myanmar, situated in Central Myanmar 714 km north of Yangon and located on the east bank of the Ayeyarwaddy River.
It was founded in 1857 by King Mindon, where the Royal Palace of the Konbaung Dynasty is located and it was the last monarchy until occupied by the British in 1885.
Today, Mandalay is still accepted as the art and cultural heartland of Myanmar and can study traditional.
Around Mandalay can visit to the former capitals of Sagaing, Ava (Inwa), Amarapura as well as interesting places of Mingun and Pyin Oo Lwin own character and interesting place.
Amarapura is a southern suburb of Mandalay and lies on the east bank of the Ayeyarwady River.
It is also known as Taung-myo (Southern Town) or Myo-haung (Old City).
Founded by King Bodawpaya in 1783 as his new capital, Amarapura means "City Of Immortality".
Today most visitors come to walk on the world's longest teak bridge; although a bit rickety in some parts, its 1700 huge teak pillars have withstood the storms and floods of the past two centuries.
The 1.2-kilometre bridge is named after its donor, U Bein, and work began in 1782.
Amarapura is also famous for its silk-weaving industry, which produces the akyeik longyi (skirt worn by both men and women) that are used in formal ceremonies.
Also known as Ava, Inwa is located 20 kilometres southwest of Mandalay across the Myitnge River and was the capital of the Myanmar kingdom for nearly 400 years.
All the major buildings that were not destroyed during the earthquake of 1838 were transferred first to Amarapura and then to Mandalay when the capital moved.
Only the 27-metre-high (90 feet) masonry Nan Myint watchtower, also known as the “learning tower of Ava” remains of the palace built by King Bagyidaw.
The Bargaya teak monastery, famous for its 267 wooden pillars, can also still be seen.
Located across majestic Ayeyarwady River, about 12 kilometres north of Mandalay, Mingun is famous as the home of the world’s second-largest ringing bell, weighing 90 tonnes, as well as a giant unfinished pagoda.
Mingun Payagyi was supposed to be the world’s largest monument, however what stands today could better be described as the world’s largest pile of bricks.
A visit to Mingun invariably means a boat trip from Mandalay’s Gawwein jetty and takes about one hour upriver and 40 minutes downriver.
With plenty of activity to see on the river, a boat trip to Mingun is a pleasant way to pass the morning or afternoon.
Sagaing lies 21 kilometres southwest of Mandalay on the west bank of the Ayeyarwady river.
Sagaing is a religious centre and in particular a place of meditation.
A living centre of the Buddhist faith, Sagaing features some 600 Buddhist pagodas, temple and monasteries.